Today when I was meddling with my Virtual Machine (VM) in Microsoft Azure, I chanced upon this new feature known as “Auto-shutdown” under the section “Schedules” although this was originally released in November 2016. The piece of news can be found here. With this naming, it tells it all that Microsoft is helping us consumers to save some costs! (Thanks Microsoft!) #MicrosoftIsGreat.
Clicking on it further brings me into this simple form.
As you can see that this form is rather simple to operate which also means that it is missing some features that I can think off immediately upon seeing this.
Microsoft Azure team has built this feature to allow you to shut down at anytime at your convenience which is down right the whole purpose of this. I faced with tons of issues with time zone where I set an alarm at 6pm (GMT +7) and after a flight, it does rang only at the specified time zone even I return to my home land which is in (GMT +8).
One of the immediate limitation of this is, once you scheduled a time to have the resource to be shut down. It will be on run on a daily basis, which means that I will need to manually start the Virtual Machine if I need to. Well, a list of awesome features that I hope to see on this Schedules will be:
1) Auto-StartUp – Automatically start the resource if it is not in the Stopped State at a specified time.
2) Allow more granular control such as:
- Control by Shutting down on a specified day of the week/month
- Control by Starting up on a specified day of the week/month
3) What is better is, if I can even start/stop a resource by using my Mobile Device (regardless of Email/Mobile Application)